Thursday, February 03, 2011

The Fact That She's Petting A Fox Doesn't Hurt, Either

 I love the queens of the minor arcana, but of the four, my least favorite has always been the Queen of Swords.  Image-wise, anyway.  She's oftentimes depicted as stern, skinny, and humorless....like a spinster schoolmarm.  But leave it to the Tarot of Durer to turn me around on the subject.  Here she's depicted as voluptuous, (as are all the females in the Durer deck) with exotic features and awesome cozy-looking layers of clothing.  I've been wondering about her broken sword, and I think it may be broken because of the idea that the Queen of Swords is all about logic trumping emotion, so maybe she believes the pen is mightier than the sword.

Anyway, you'll be seeing more of the Durer deck here in the future.  It's one of my go-to's.



-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...