Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It Says My Boyfriend Secetly Hates Me!!

So, this one time I was looking around Amazon for cards, and ran across a deck called "Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards (With Instructions)", and fell smack in love with it.  The images are very early-20th-century....they remind me of old-time Halloween....and the colors are eye-catchingly bright, so I snapped it up.  I was all set to use it for work, until I actually got it home and tried to do a reading.






Laying out a spread with this deck is some kind of craziness.  The process is ludicrously complicated and nearly impossible to interpret in any kind of cohesive way.  (I likes my divination to be organized, I do.)  If you take cartomancy seriously, the card meanings in this deck can give off a very negative vibe, sometimes even mean.  I hate trying to read with them, so I don't anymore.  But.  And this is a huge BUT.  If you're just looking for something hilarious and fun to do with your gal pals.....

Everything about these cards screams "PRE-TEEN GIRL PARTY!"  When I was trying to read with this deck, I kept picturing girls in pj's sitting in a circle giggling like crazy and shrieking excitedly at every card that mentions love. The whole "extra Joker" thing fits right into that vibe....you know, like, when you're a kid and you secretly manipulate your MASH notes so that you get to marry the actor and live in a mansion every time you play? And these cards are definitely a lot more interactive than tarot cards, which is another thing that makes them perfect for gaggles of girls to woot and squee over. With tarot cards, you've got a reader and a....well, a read-ee. With the Gypsy Witch cards, it's more a thing where you and whoever you're with do it together.

So, for serious readers, I would recommend staying away from this deck.  I've even read reviews by readers who were made so uncomfortable by the cards, they've decided to burn them.  (Personally, I don't find these cards to be THAT horrible, but you know, whatever.)  BUT, if you're planning a nostalgic slumber party night with your girl friends, this deck gives off the same squee-related kind of vibe you'd get from a ouija board or a magic 8 ball.  Order a pizza, watch an Ashton Kutcher movie, play a little "Light-As-A Feather-Stiff-As-A-Board" and go to it.



-

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for a blog. I never realized the beauty of all these tarot cards! I'll definitely be following.

    Thanks for your comments on my blog :) I thought the same thing when I saw that amazing closet...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...