Wednesday, February 02, 2011

She Has Freaky Leaf Legs

I bumped into the Renaissance Tarot by chance while looking up decks online, and fell in love with it immediately.  I'm fairly sure it's out of print, because I had to get my copy through the Amazon Marketplace from a tiny occult shop in New York City, but there are definitely other copies to be had, and for perfectly decent prices.  The art in this deck is spectacular.  Even the pips, which are as simply illustrated as possible, have just enough of the Waite-Smith visual cues in them to be effective.  The physical stuff isn't great:  to be blunt, this deck is flimsy.  It doesn't shuffle as well as some of my other decks, but it's one of my special ones, not just because it's beautiful, but because I used to use it for work and it gave some really good readings for people.

The art for the Renaissance Tarot is done by Helen Jones, but if you'd like to learn more about this deck (because there's more than one "Renaissance Tarot") I'd search under Jane Lyle, who wrote the companion book.  The results seem to be better that way.




-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...