Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Triumph!!

I am addicted to papercraft models.  I've made everything from vintage carousels to chinese dragons to haunted houses to blue whales to Big Ben to the paper TARDIS that hangs over my computer monitor.  But there's one type of model I have never been able to master, and that's papercraft flowers.  They are hard as hell.  Seriously.  The techniques involved are something I can't seem to make work most of the time....the rolling, the creasing, the fact that everything has to be double-sided....  There's a lot of pressure on the points where you glue pieces together, because most of the time you have to curl the pieces into a curved shape, and all paper, no matter what, really really wants to be flat.  A lot of times, no matter how long I pinch down a petal or a leaf, waiting for the glue to dry, once I let go, the paper rebels and pops flat again.  Arg.

Anyway, I basically gave up on papercraft flowers a long time ago.  Until today, when I decided to give it one more last final go.  I chose a lily because, to be blunt, it looked easiest, and had the fewest pieces.  It took me all day, but.....

Ta-da!






I photoshopped the background out, so the picture would look nicer, and there it is!  I actually finished a flower.  As you can see from the shine on the stem, I had to wrap it in tape to keep it rolled tight, but otherwise, I'm pretty proud of myself.  Not that this changes my mind about papercraft flowers, but you know, baby steps.


-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...