Thursday, June 23, 2011

Very Cool!

A few months ago, a friend of mine gave me a book called "Tarot Spells" by Janina Renee, and I immediately fell in love with it.  Not only does it describe and outline a whole different purpose for your tarot cards, but it's also a useful tool for meditation and visualization exercises.

In the beginning, I tried a couple of the spells in a sort of half-hearted way.  I didn't set up a space to lay everything out, and I skipped the candles, the physical objects, etc....  I just laid out the required cards next to me on my bed and tried to focus.  But I have to say, once I decided to go all out and do things right, it made a huge difference.  The book has sections on everything you need to set up a space:  color symbolism, gemstones, candles, cards, personal objects...  I made a concerted effort to make sure that EVERYthing involved in the space was symbolic to the goal I was trying to reach....the colors of the ribbons and candles, the bells, the keys, the stuff on the wall above the space, etc....

Then, I took about an hour a night for 5 nights focusing solely on the tarot cards required, using the visualizations suggested by the book.  This is where I came to the realization that even if you don't want to work the actual spells, you can use this book as a very useful meditation tool.  Basically, the basis of everything the book outlines is plain old positive energy.  It's all about the visualization.

Once I felt like everything was well-established, I left the whole layout in place, and now I just light some candles for it every day and pause long enough to re-focus.  When I'm finished with the current situation, I'll readjust the physical space with new colors, objects, etc, to suit whatever I'm focusing on then.

I am seriously liking this.  It's a great way to send positive energy to a friend or family member, and also to take some time for myself to slow my mind and focus.  You don't need to know or understand tarot to use this book.  All you have to have is a tarot deck, and the book thoroughly explains what to do with it.  There is a small snag in that there's more than one tarot discipline, and confusion regarding card meanings can happen.  This book definitely bases it's meanings in the Waite-Smith tradition, and if you were to have oracle cards or a Thoth deck, you'd run into issues.  But otherwise, it makes things really amazingly easy.


TAROT SPELLS by JANINA RENEE at Amazon.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...