Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Time To Get On The Ball

I spent from the time I was 5 until The Young Lad was born as a voracious reader.  It was all I ever did, all I wanted to do.  I spent numerous summers avoiding the sunshine, laying on my bed under a ceiling fan with a book in front of my face.  I used to wedge myself into the space between my bed and the wall, with my face right in front of the furnace vent in the winter, hiding under a blanket tent, reading and reading, ignoring the world.  I famously caused a ruckus in one of my college classes because I spent the entire session reading The Color Purple under my desk while I was supposed to be watching a classmate's presentation.  She noticed and angrily ratted me out in front of the entire class.  The summer I was pregnant with The Young Lad, I was on mandatory bedrest, so I spent those hot, sweaty months doing nothing but read all my old favorite books over again.  The minute I finished one book, I picked up another.

And then, I just stopped.  The Young Lad definitely sapped a lot of my reading time away when he was little, but then once he started school, I figured I'd have the time again, with the continuing bedrest and all, to go back to reading for hours a day.  That never ended up happening, though.  I completely lost my attention span for it.  Whenever I've tried to settle down with a book, I get this insatiable urge to be doing something with my hands.....sewing or cutting paper or Sharpie painting or organizing something.  I feel all jumpy, like I'm wasting the time I could be using to do something more constructive.  I certainly can't concentrate, so I just give up.  I've only read maybe two or three new books since The Young Lad was born, and he's eleven now.  That is some serious badness.

So, I've decided it's time to get on the ball again.  I mean, I don't want to give up all my arts and crafts and things that I love to do, but I have to start working the reading back in, as well.  I'm thinking I'm going to make myself a sign to hang in here, directly in my line of sight when I'm in my bed, which is nearly all the time, that says "READ TODAY" or something like that, so that I'll spend at least a little while each day working through a book.  And I'm going to start with one my dad just finished, and handed off to me because he knows that The Haunting of Hill House is one of my all-time favorite books:



The cover image alone makes me feel like I'm going to like it.  Is it good?  Feel free to leave a comment if you've read it.  Just no spoilers, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...