Thursday, April 10, 2014

Giving The Scissors A Workout

Libraries can be perfect places to find books full of craft patterns.  As long as you've got a scanner and a printer, you're golden.  The craft section at my local library led me to discover this great book called "Paper Cuts" by Taylor Hagerty:

The book

Here's the link:


When I used to be a for-real artist (gallery showings, selling prints, all that biz), my main medium was paper, so any time I see something paper-related, I'm on it.  This book does not disappoint.  The style of almost every project in it is whimsical in the best way possible.  I decided to try my hand at the princess and the frog scene, and the fairy ornament.  Here are my results:



It's hard to see in the picture, but the fairy ornament is actually four-sided and hanging from the ceiling.

You're most definitely going to have to own an X-Acto knife to even begin to attempt these projects, and if you go in as a beginner, be sure to buy a self-healing mat to do the cutting on.  I'm considerably more deft with scissors, so my knife cuts are, well, you don't want to look too closely.  But I think the end results are pretty cool, one way or the other.  I got all the little circles done by using a spring-loaded punch.  It makes an ungodly amount of noise, and I didn't have enough of a variety of sizes to do the canopy justice on the princess and the frog, but cutting decent circles with an X-Acto knife is a skill I gave up on long ago.

I'd highly recommend trying this book out, even if you've never cut paper in your life.  It includes projects that go from simple things like paper tea aprons to complicated shadowbox scenes.  You don't even need to worry about having printed paper.  I did the princess and the frog on plain white cardstock.  Give it a shot.  A lot of the projects in this book would make lovely and impressive gifts.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...